Starr Writers Contest
This contest is named in remembrance of Jocelyn Starr, who passed away in November 2010. Jocelyn was one of the founding members of ASEC and was a great supporter of her students.
Submissions for this year are currently closed.
Please watch for the next contest opening in October.
Submitting Your Work
All submissions must be the contestants’ own original work.
By submitting your entry you agree to allow ASEC to publish your essay on our website, newsletter and/or social media, to present your essay at our fall conference, and to share your entry with Adult Learning and Literacy.
Winners will be announced at the ASEC Spring Conference. We invite those winners who are able to attend our Fall Conference to receive their awards and present their work to the membership.
A member of the Starr Writers Committee will contact winners to confirm details.
How to Submit
Email your submission.
- Save your essay as a Microsoft Word Document
- Send the .doc or .docx file and the completed entry form to firstname.lastname@example.org
In the Adult Literacy Program category, our 2019 winners are:
- First Place: Amanda Koltusky – Adult Learning on Lombard
- Second Place: Jared Berens – Adult Learning on Lombard
- Third Place: Curtis Worlee – Adult Learning on Lombard
- First Place: Emerica Picton – CrossRoads Learning Centre
- Second Place: William George Nepinak – Adult Learning on Lombard
- Third Place: Hannah Whiteway – Seven Oaks ALC